On this Day Factola
May 17, 1894
German patent filed for talking doll
This is the only known surviving example of an 1894 Kämmer & Reinhardt talking doll.
The bisque head was a product of Simon & Halbig, a noted manufacturer of dolls. The head is open at the top, covered with a coarse steel mesh screen. The sleep eyes could be adjusted using a brass wire located behind the left ear. The jointed wooden limbs were made from European lime tree. The body is of papier mache, painted green inside, and originally included a rectangular cover in front. Inside, at waist level, is a triangular wooden board fixed to the body with three screws. On this board is mounted the tiny Gramophone Mechanism. (Courtesy of The Talking Machine, F&P)